Thursday, May 16, 2013

Graduation!

Yes... Yes I Did


This might be hard to believe... even months later I find myself still a little skeptical, but I finally graduated from college. College, people. Granted, it wasn't anything cool, like my doctorate in like Aeronautical  Engineering or gene splicing or something. I will never find a cure for cancer or invent the next iPod, but in my book just have a bachelors degree in sales technology is like up there with having air-conditioned seats in my car and suddenly being able to buy e-books without going to the store. i.e. it's awesome. Proof you say?
Here it is!


(Cute husband, right? I know :)



Bam! There it is, with my name all over it. What do I do with it now? Who knows. But the point right now is, I finished it. I finished something spectacularly challenging (if school was a piece of cake to you, shut it, you are a freak of nature). I worked full time the entire time, met and courted my husband, got married, AND switched majors THREE times. I have almost enough credits for two degrees, but you know what? I can't really regret it when it just took me awhile to find what interested me. I was pre-med, then I was a psych major (wow, fun stuff in THERE) and then a business major. I'm a very well-rounded graduate :)  
I wanted to quite a lot when I didn't want to write one more paper, or go to one more class, or take one more test, but I stuck with it, and as is the case with all things challenging, it was WORTH IT. Much like the half marathon I completed late last year that I never thought I could do!
Man, I am just finishing things all over the place!! Go me.

I would like to take this opportunity to say a great big THANK YOU to everyone that helped me, put up with me, inspired me, and paid for me (Dad and Intermountain Healthcare) during this huge process. My family put up with me not helping them with various things, my friends put up with me being a hermit and not seeing them for months at a time. My boss and co-workers put up with me leaving early or not coming in at all to complete projects. And my poor husband put up with me being too stressed, grumpy, busy, and tired to cook because "I'm in school gosh darnet and I can't do homework AND cook dinner tonight!!" The poor dear. He was a trooper though, so now I guess I better go make the big bucks :-)

Both of my parents are college graduates, and I can't say enough for having educated parents in the home. While I would NEVER degrade or judge anyone or think myself better or smarter that either couldn't go to college or just plain didn't want or need to, I do think that I personally having a deeper understanding of the world and it's history and the ways that various seemingly-unrelated things really work together and influence the outcome of an endless amount of things, and this is extremely priceless to me.  I have learned so much about things that I didn't appreciate before I was (*cough*) FORCED to learn about them. From economics to women's rights, to negotiating contracts to understanding the way the brain works, I went from one end of the spectrum to other, and had a blast. I'm done though, thanks. Much like a buffet, I ate too much, I've had my fill and I never want to eat... I mean go to school... ever again!

1 comment:

  1. Ok this was my absolute favorite post on your blog. You are hysterical. And honest. And my hero. You are such an inspiration and I couldn't be more proud of you little sis! I personally know and understand how much you had to sacrifice and stress over the last FOREVER...and it has given me nothing but complete adoration and respect for you. You're a wonderful example and for cryin out loud this post makes me want to finish school!!! Geez...Congrats Lindsey Lou!!

    ReplyDelete